We are extremely grateful to our users for their help enhancing our products. Each feedback or bug report ticket obviously helps us correct problems and enhance the application but, more importantly, through your feedback you are constantly keeping us on tracks to make it simpler, more pertinent and more powerful. So please, do not hesitate to contact us.
You need to help us help you, however, and to avoid wasting time going back and forth, trying to isolate the core information, this document lists the most frequent things we ask in return to our users’ messages. It has proved very useful and we will keep updating it.
- READ THE FAQ
FAQ, troubleshooting info and tutorials are really helpful. (Seriously.)
- Please read Help>Frequently Asked Questions before asking yours: The FAQ inside OutWit Hub and Email Sourcer are not just a general overview for beginners, they are actually an extremely useful list of tips with precise information, otherwise scattered across the Help.
- The troubleshooting section of the FAQ, in particular, will give you the way to revert to factory settings if you are experiencing a new unwanted behavior of the application.
- The tutorials built in OutWit Hub and Email Sourcer (Help>Tutorials) are also very useful and short. They only take a few minutes each and they cover all the main functions.
- TRY THE ADD-ON
- OutWit Hub (Light, Pro or Enterprise) come in two guises: the Standalone executable application and the Firefox add-on. If you are having problems running one, you can try the other. The first reason is obviously that it will allow you to work without delay; the second is that it will give you access to the Help and FAQ (with troubleshooting information on how to create a blank profile).
- UPDATE YOUR APPLICATION
If you are using a current license or the free version, please make sure that you have the latest update.
- see this post to make sure your program is up-to-date.
- (…and if you have an old license, it could be a good time to upgrade.)
- SHOW RATHER THAN DESCRIBE
If you are having a problem, give us everything to reproduce it with a short, precise description.
- do not write long blocks of text with complex descriptions of general processes,
- determine where your issue resides and focus on this part:
– Here is WHAT I DO.
- Here is WHAT I GET.
- Here is WHAT I WOULD LIKE INSTEAD.
- make sure you include the relevant URL(s),
- include a specific and streamlined test case that we can reproduce in a few clicks, with EVERYTHING we need to reproduce it: macro, scraper, list of URLs…
- do not hesitate to add screenshots, if necessary (but NOT of your scrapers or macros).
- No screenshots of scrapers or macros.
- please do not send us screenshots of your scrapers or macros as we would be forced to retype them. Instead, please Export them and attach the XML files (EVERYTHING we need to reproduce: macro, scraper, list of URLs…).
- If what you need to show us is not a scraper or an automator:
Attach screenshots of your whole screen as jpg or png files
- do not include them into MS Word files or other applications,
- do not use screencast (unless you really need to send us videos),
- do not take partial screenshots. Do not just send a dialog or a section of the screen. We already know our dialogs but what is really interesting is the context: the state of the application when it happened,
- when possible, open the log panel when you take the screenshot, for us to see the list of actions that led there,
- Create ONE support ticket per issue.
- do not reply to our answers by creating a new ticket but add a comment to the same ticket (the link to the complete thread of your support ticket is at the top every email you receive),
- if the issue was solved, please do not add: “Thank you. Oh, by the way, I would also like to know how to…” The ticket content should correspond to its title.
- Subject and Version are required fields.
- make sure the title of your ticket is meaningful. Don’t call your ticket “outwit hub” or “I have a question” or “Could you help me?”. If we search for it in the future to add a comment and if the title doesn’t give the topic of your question, we may never find it.
- provide the full and precise version number that you are using. Do not enter “current”, “the latest”, “N/A”, “Yes”, “I don’t know”…
- if your problem comes after an update, please specify what precise version you had before the update and what version you updated to.
Support is done by the developers themselves: they need to know your needs to make the application a better tool. Unfortunately their time is limited so, please do not write very long descriptions of processes or expect them to analyze the structure of a website. If this is what you need, read how we can create custom scrapers for you here.